Reducing Costs: How To Save The Most Money On Dental Supplies
How do I save money on dental supplies?
Operating a dental office requires a substantial upfront cost for dental equipment and supplies.
Dentists spend a large percentage of overhead keeping those supplies stocked.
Many routinely purchase items from a dental supply distributor, never realizing they are overpaying for items.
Unlike manufacturers, distributors charge more for products, therefore increasing dentists' overhead costs.
Manufacturers save dentists money by cutting out the middleman and providing the lowest prices for dental supplies.
Basic Equipment Costs
For the basic equipment, operatory rooms in a dental office cost on average $35,000 to $75,000 per room. Most dental offices have multiple rooms, and each room is comprised of the following:
- Dental Chair
- Dental Unit
- Dental Vacuum System
- Overhead Light
- X-ray Machine
- Dental Instruments
- Ultrasonic Scaler Unit
- Computer Workstation
As a result of the significant initial cost for the basic equipment, it is crucial that money be saved elsewhere when possible.
Dental Supply Costs
The most profitable dental procedures are implants, root canals, crowns, and bridges. They require multiple dentistry materials to complete the procedures; if the proper supplies are not available, they cannot be performed. As a result, the office will take a loss in its revenue during that unfilled appointment slot. In the dental office, organized supply rooms and stocked drawers in each operatory room help the office run smoothly. Some of the most useful supplies are the following:
- Patient Bibs
- Cotton Rolls
- Prophy Paste
- Prophy Angles
- Applicator Brushes
- Fluoride Varnish
- Plastic Barriers
- Air/Water Syringes
- Sterilization Pouches
- Procedural Mouth Rinse
- Infection Control Cleaning Products
Considering all of the disposables, dental hygiene products, and infection control cleaning products used in a dental office per day– it is important that the cost of these items be kept as low as possible.
Create An Inventory System
Developing an inventory system for keeping track of supplies is essential for any dental office. Inventory systems help the office account for all items purchased, stay on budget, and avoid over or under-ordering products.
Inventory System Checklist
- Appoint one person in charge of inventory
- Create a budget
- Request quotes from dental supply stores (Compare distributor prices to manufacturer prices)
- Ask a sales representative to perform a cost comparison (you will be shocked to see the money you could be saving!)
- Stock new inventory immediately
- Weekly checklist of low inventory items (Always keep some backup stock for emergencies. i.e., late deliveries, using more supplies than anticipated, etc.)
- Document all transactions
Where are manufacturers of dental supplies near me? — maxill.com is a dental supply company manufacturer conveniently available to order from online. When placing an order, consider buying in bulk to get wholesale prices at an even lower rate.
Save Your Money By Purchasing Directly From A Manufacturer!
Article Content References
- AEGIS Communications, By Jacob Drucker. “From Manufacturer to Dental Practice: Navigating the Realm of Dental Supplies: Compendium.” Nov/Dec 2018 | Compendium, https://www.aegisdentalnetwork.com/cced/2018/11/from-manufacturer-to-dental-practice-navigating-the-realm-of-dental-supplies#:~:text=Typically%2C%20distributors%20sit%20between%20manufacturers,may%20not%20always%20be%20clear.
- Non-Braided Cotton Rolls – Maxill https://www.maxill.com/ca/our-products/disposables/maxi-sorb-2-non-braided-cotton-rolls.html
- Isolation Gown – Maxill https://www.maxill.com/ca/maxill-aquist-washable-isolation-gowns.html
- Black Nitrile Gloves -- Maxill https://www.maxill.com/ca/cobalt-elite-black-nitrile-gloves.html
- Procedural Masks – Maxill https://www.maxill.com/ca/maxill-plus-earloop-style-procedural-masks-floral.html
- Non-woven Gauze – Maxill https://www.maxill.com/ca/maxi-sorb-4-ply-non-woven-gauze.html
- Patient Bibs – Maxill https://www.maxill.com/ca/maxi-bibs-plus-premium-4-ply-patient-bibs.html
- Prophy Paste – Maxill https://www.maxill.com/ca/maxill-prophy-paste.html
- Prophy Angles – Maxill https://www.maxill.com/ca/ipana-reciprocating-disposable-prophy-angles.html
- Applicator Brushes – Maxill https://www.maxill.com/ca/bendable-applicator-brushes.html
- Fluoride Varnish – Maxill https://www.maxill.com/ca/5-sodium-fluoride-varnish.html
- Plastic Barriers – Maxill
- Sterilization Pouches – Maxill https://www.maxill.com/ca/maxill-steri-sox-multi-channel-sterilization-pouches.html
- Mouth Rinse – Maxill https://www.maxill.com/ca/ipana-pre-op-oral-rinse-with-1-5-hydrogen-peroxide.html
- Disinfectant – Maxill https://www.maxill.com/ca/tb-minuteman-nex-gen-disinfectant.html
- Maxill https://www.maxill.com/
Articles Related To Topic